Skip to main content

“Good Morning, Tony”: Culture, Respect and the Art of Reading the Room


“Good morning, Tony.”

Those three words, spoken by a young woman to Tony Elumelu at a recent graduation event, ignited a national conversation within hours.

Mr Elumelu corrected her at once: “No, you won’t call me Tony. You’ll call me Mr Elumelu, TOE or Chairman.” The clip spread rapidly, prompting debates about corporate culture, African respect, generational differences and the so-called “Oyibo” approach to workplace relationships.

I watched the video several times. I could see both sides.

I have worked in telecommunications and financial services environments where first-name culture was almost standard practice. At iSON BPO, inside an MTN call-centre setting, the atmosphere differed markedly from traditional Nigerian workplaces. I worked alongside Mr Adeyanju Johnson, Mr Onasa, Ms Odion, Mr Macaubrey et al…as my Team Lead. Even in that environment, I found it difficult to address some of them by first name alone.

Earlier, in the financial sector, I called my branch manager Aunty Biola, or simply BM. Using her first name felt unnatural. No handbook required it. Cultural programming did.

In the public sector the language grew more layered still. “Oga” often preceded the name. “Sir” frequently followed. Age could quietly reorder hierarchy: a senior in rank who was younger in years would still hesitate before using a first name on junior.

Nigeria’s workplaces are not purely professional spaces. They are cultural ones.

In many multinational organisations shaped by Western norms, first names are actively encouraged. A CEO may say, “Call me David,” and mean it. In the United States, the United Kingdom and similar environments, this is ordinary.

Yet culture travels with people. What feels natural in one room can sound disrespectful in another.

I won’t entirely blame the young woman. She may simply have been operating from the corporate culture she knew. Some Nigerian organisations deliberately discourage titles and promote first-name address. That culture exists.

Still, I would have handled the moment differently.

The instant Mr Elumelu corrected me, I would have stopped.

“I’m sorry, Mr Chairman. Thank you for the correction. It is a pleasure to be here, and thank you for the opportunity to speak.”

Then I would have asked my question.

This is where we appear to be losing ground. We are learning to assert ourselves, yet sometimes forgetting how to read a room.

I am not opposed to informality. Cordial relationships matter. Workplaces should not become places of unnecessary fear. Good leaders remain approachable; healthy organisations allow people to contribute without trembling when the boss enters.

There remains, however, a clear distinction between approachability and assumed familiarity.

You can be close without becoming careless.
You can be confident without becoming presumptuous.
You can be modern without discarding cultural intelligence.

Actress Shaffy Bello expressed this African sensibility with clarity: “When a child calls me by my name, I pull them closer and tell them, ‘You haven’t earned the right, and you never will.’ Even children in the U.S. call me ‘Ma’am’. This is Africa after all.” Her words point to a deeper cultural logic, that age, experience and position still carry weight that first-name familiarity does not automatically erase.

Decades earlier, Dr Maya Angelou made a similar point. When a young lady addressed her simply as “Maya,” she replied: “I’m not Maya. I’m 62 years old. I have lived so long and tried so hard that a young woman like you, or any other, has no license to come up to me and call me by my first name… I am your mother, I am your auntie, I’m your teacher, I’m your professor.” The correction was not about ego. It was about recognising lived experience and the social role that accompanies it.

Even in lighter Western settings the principle surfaces. When Trevor Noah asked former President Barack Obama whether he missed being called by his first name, Obama answered with a smile: “My best friends call me Barack. You should call me Mr. President.” The exchange was playful, yet it quietly reaffirmed that preferred forms of address are not trivial.

These instincts extend beyond Africa. In Indian workplaces hierarchy remains strongly felt. Juniors commonly address seniors as “Sir” or “Madam,” often adding respectful suffixes such as “ji.” Even in modern companies, switching to a first name without invitation can still feel abrupt. In Chinese professional culture the pattern is more formal still. Colleagues and subordinates typically use surname plus title; Wang Jingli, Li Zong, rather than given names. Hierarchy, seniority and “face” shape everyday speech; casual first-name address of a superior is rare and can signal disrespect.

Across these cultures the underlying idea is consistent: how we name people is one of the simplest ways we show we understand context, power and relationship.

My own rule is straightforward. I will adapt when appropriate, but I prefer to begin from what is generally and morally acceptable until the other person grants permission for greater familiarity. I would rather start with “Sir” and be invited to use a first name than begin with a first name and be asked to retreat to a title. I prefer not to ascend into familiarity only to be asked to descend.

The real lesson from the “Good Morning, Tony” moment is:

Read the room.

Understand the culture.
Observe how people address one another.
Know the difference between an informal office conversation and standing before principal officials.
And when someone tells you how they prefer to be addressed, accept the correction with grace.

Sometimes professionalism is about knowing the moment, reading the room…and honouring such rare privilege that comes your way.

-Ayomide Abiona-



We are amazing team with amazing stories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harambe, Parents and Kids

Harambe was a captive male Western Lowland gorilla, a critically endangered species in the wild. He was shot and killed after a child climbed into his enclosure at the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden and fell into the moat. On September 18, 2014, Harambe was transferred to the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden to learn adult gorilla behavior and join a new social group. On May 28, 2016, a day after his 17th birthday, Harambe was shot dead after a three-year-old boy entered his enclosure. The incident was recorded by a bystander and uploaded to YouTube, where the video went viral. Zoo director Thane Maynard stated, “The child was being dragged around... His head was banging on the concrete.” Another expert disputed this claim, saying Harambe was not a danger to the child. Another tragic event occurred shortly after. Lane’s parents watched one Tuesday night as an alligator grabbed their son in the shallows of a lake and dragged him deeper into the water, officials said. The father,...

Dcn Modupeola Abiona retirement well-wishes.

You’ve put in your best serving the public, and by extension your country. It’s now time for you to rest; you deserve the best life ahead. Have a fun-filled and fulfilled retirement Mum - Ayomide Abiona You can now wake up when you want to, visit the places you’ve longed for, make your own schedules without restriction – that’s the freedom that retirement brings. Happy retirement my Dear wife - Elder Olaseinde Abiona. At work, you were known as an untiring worker, at home you never slacked in your duty for a moment, which is why we call you our hero. You are a virtuous woman indeed. You deserve the best that life has for you ahead, mom. Happy retirement. - Ayodele Abiola (Nee Abiona) Most times I wondered how you do it; managing your family and career so well that none was given less attention. You are indeed “the hand that rocks the cradle and rules the world!” Happy retirement, mom. - Gloria Abimbola  Mom, there will be no more alarm to interrupt your peaceful sleep wh...

The Eternal Debate: Taiwo or Kehinde, Who Is the Elder?

In Yoruba land, the birth of twins is a sacred event and a divine gift that transforms a home. As the late Kayode Fasola sang in his soulful melody,  “Ti mo ba bi ejire, inu mi a dun o” —if I birth twins, my heart will sing with joy. The arrival of  ejire , the twins, is heralded with the  oriki  chant:  “Ejire to wole, alakisa to so o d’onigba aso” —twins who enter the home, turning rags to riches, weaving prosperity into the family’s fabric. A mother’s name shifts from, say, “Mama Bola” to  Iya Ibeji , the revered mother of twins, her identity forever tied to this sacred duality. Yet, beneath this celebration lies a timeless Yoruba debate: who is the elder, Taiwo or Kehinde? Yoruba cosmology offers a vivid lens for this conflict. Taiwo, the first to emerge, bears a name meaning “the one who tastes the world” or  Tayelolu —“Taye is the Lord.” Taiwo is the scout, the pioneer sent to test the waters of existence. Kehinde, the second to arrive, is “the o...