Skip to main content

3 years ago.

It was during 2012 while undergoing diploma course at University of Ibadan that my tastebud fell in love with the soup of this Southeastern (Ibo) woman inside Campus market. Her soup was just like the prerequisite course i will need before being posted to serve in the eastern part of the country where the original leaves are at premium. While my friends like the fried(but green colour) rice inside Zik hostel canteen, my favourite is the akpu- fufu and the bitter leaf mixed with okro - draw soup. I cherished the naturality of guys I always meet at the joint- even though I always keep mute as if I have not obtained the talk permit needed to contribute to all funny scenes inside their discussion. I can't forget the day I caught my lecturer Mr. Chidi red-handed dealing with heavy morsel of Yellowish Eba with mixed soup; I couldn't move back but join him in the swallow ministry.
Just today 13/11/15 is another day to observe the once upon a dinning table I once ate from. The tables are stil the same with new table covers tho!( thanks to indomie table cover); the arangement is almost a conserved one since I had to roll aside the blind curtain I was used with, before you can enter the kiosk. Yet no fan, but the place is still breezing even in the realm of swallowing thick fufu coated with vegetables. I met the absence of the proprietres of this school of ibo food but I met her beautiful Ada and sisters - (I heard Ada while making call; she said she will attend University of Ibadan, reason being that she is afraid of hunger if she should go to school far from her home ( I smiled witin my flat tummy and guesed she must have been obsessed by her Mum's food). Ada is gifted with white unset teeth with fair colour skin resembling the palm oil used by her mum; looking cool on the podium when she served me the moderately warm fufu; they were speaking much of Yoruba and English as I waited some few minutes to compose this write up, I was so diasapointed not to hear Igbo language from them ( I just hope they still know the road to their home town)
Now that I need to stand up and take my leave, I will be ready to give you direct description to mama Ada shop anytime you find yourself inside University of Ibadan.

Ayomide Abiona
18/11/2018
Nigeria



nigerianthem is there to let you know....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never to be an Almajiri again.

Life as an almajiri in Kano was very tough. I could still remember how we went about in tens begging for alms and food. It’s really not a life anyone should live. I lived it years ago and could still tell exactly how it hurts; the memory of it and the hellish experiences we had  to bear. Almajiri life isn’t a life. It’s like being dead alive. I lived that life. I was ten when I decided to remove the cloak of destitution and face life squarely. It still remains the turning point in my life and the wisest decision I’d ever taken. I could still remember vividly what led me to take such a decision one afternoon. It was at Sabon Titi Kano. We were nine in number. We had trekked all the way from Bida Road. Ali, my best friend was saying something about how very unfair it was that girls were not allowed to  wander about begging as boys did. He said something about girls being lucky and fortunate because they were not subjected to the demeaning life that we lived. “But you don’t have to think

ILORIN: THE MUALIMAH IN A MARKET DANCE

If there’s one thing I hate writing about it is an opinion on Ilorin, my fatherland. It gives me no joy having to wield the hammer I called a pen and land it hardly on the baldhead of my homeland. If I were to describe how I felt each time I wrote an opinion on any incidence regarding this land, no time, I say none, and no time did I felt good. And the reasons are not farfetched; I am always torn in between emotions and saying the naked truth. It had never been lost on me that family, no matter what, is family. However, it seems I am alone on that, maybe I am not. But the odds seem small. The thinking ones, specifically among the youth, are not much. The recent actions and inactions, reports and incidences of immortality and irresponsibility by some sons and daughters of the Emirate clearly affirm my earlier stance.  And this time, neither for emotions or fear of misunderstanding would I be garbing irresponsibility with the robe of nobility or be dressing a clear, crestfallen values an

7 Medical Doctors died along Abuja-Kaduna Road

#NMA-Ekiti-7:  Dr. Dele Atiba gives a life account after surviving a ghastly motor accident that took the lives of 7 members of Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) Ekiti Branch. This date  (24/04/2016) has stuck to my memory like it’s super glued to my frontal lobe since last year.  It was a Black Sunday! Many lives were lost. Dreams cut short. Aspirations thwarted. Children became orphans and wives turn to widows.  I dont think there is nothing that can erase it as long as I live. As a survivor, scars of bodily injuries abound, emotional trauma lingers and psychological trauma persists. The Ekiti Branch of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) delegates to the Annual Delegates Meeting of 2016 in Sokoto had a ghastly motor accident along Abuja-Kaduna road at about 4:30pm in the afternoon. Thirteen lives  12 doctors and their driver wee in the bus. The rear tyre got burst, the bus somersaulted severally, and some were thrown out of the vehicle  six died on the spot and the seventh di