Skip to main content

Kettle calling Pot black!

everidayTori


Kettle calling pot black.
Since I won't be going out with my car, I decided  to board a taxi instead of taking a bike that will add more mucus to my catarrh; but it wasn't easy trekking about 5 minutes to the main express...5 minutes is not too much though; but the exposure of my second layer head-skin to this hot sun is like daring the temperature of hell fire. The guy that got my hair cut less that 12 hours ago didn't apply 'eye of mercy' at all; he must be a brother to an "ex" (tongue out😜).
Trying to avoid being given an embarrassing look by korope drivers as the denomination I had on me was #1,000 note, I had to force myself to buy #100 airtime from a wholesale shop very close to the express. Then, I saw this woman that used to add 10naira to cardi onihundred naira (she sells #110 for us in the street)  spiral-walked to the desk of the attendant...chai!🙉 Her secret don land my hand today; she will hear her surname when next she asks me to add #10 to my money since she decided to walk past me as if I were a statue.
Korope man (cab driver)  with his trouble too, insisting he will collect #70 (Naira instead of normal #50, with joke and sarcasm I voiced out; " Baba me I don calcu my movement o" he neither responded nor asked me to alight. (customers are always right fah😜). Few metres away, we sighted his ministry member (a co- cab driver) driving a car loaded with drinks. I was gently smiling at his greed as the Baba decided to turn it to a topic of discussion, "he is not the owner of the car, if he is the owner he won't load the car with drinks like this". Though not in anyway interested in the topic, I nonetheless  played along with a pretentious smile. Suddenly, he increased the speed of the car so as to meet up with the said greedy driver.  He greeted him and said, "owò e ti bàá; e sháà lo fo mótò k'esì lo sùn te bá ti ja tán" (You've hit a jackpot! Just remember to wash the car after offloading and thereafter, close for the day). I increased the tune of my smiles this time around as I asked like how much his friend will make from that trip? He answered, "the highest is #700, and may not be up to that". I smiled again, and muttered in my church-mind that "this man is nothing but a frying pan calling a kettle, black. Because, If he had the opportunity to be in the said greedy drivers' shoe, he would do the same jor..."
 #everidayTori
Series 002
Written by Ayomide Abiona
Edited by Olawale Akinyede

nigerianthem is there to let you know....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never to be an Almajiri again.

Life as an almajiri in Kano was very tough. I could still remember how we went about in tens begging for alms and food. It’s really not a life anyone should live. I lived it years ago and could still tell exactly how it hurts; the memory of it and the hellish experiences we had  to bear. Almajiri life isn’t a life. It’s like being dead alive. I lived that life. I was ten when I decided to remove the cloak of destitution and face life squarely. It still remains the turning point in my life and the wisest decision I’d ever taken. I could still remember vividly what led me to take such a decision one afternoon. It was at Sabon Titi Kano. We were nine in number. We had trekked all the way from Bida Road. Ali, my best friend was saying something about how very unfair it was that girls were not allowed to  wander about begging as boys did. He said something about girls being lucky and fortunate because they were not subjected to the demeaning life that we lived. “But you don’t have to think

ILORIN: THE MUALIMAH IN A MARKET DANCE

If there’s one thing I hate writing about it is an opinion on Ilorin, my fatherland. It gives me no joy having to wield the hammer I called a pen and land it hardly on the baldhead of my homeland. If I were to describe how I felt each time I wrote an opinion on any incidence regarding this land, no time, I say none, and no time did I felt good. And the reasons are not farfetched; I am always torn in between emotions and saying the naked truth. It had never been lost on me that family, no matter what, is family. However, it seems I am alone on that, maybe I am not. But the odds seem small. The thinking ones, specifically among the youth, are not much. The recent actions and inactions, reports and incidences of immortality and irresponsibility by some sons and daughters of the Emirate clearly affirm my earlier stance.  And this time, neither for emotions or fear of misunderstanding would I be garbing irresponsibility with the robe of nobility or be dressing a clear, crestfallen values an

7 Medical Doctors died along Abuja-Kaduna Road

#NMA-Ekiti-7:  Dr. Dele Atiba gives a life account after surviving a ghastly motor accident that took the lives of 7 members of Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) Ekiti Branch. This date  (24/04/2016) has stuck to my memory like it’s super glued to my frontal lobe since last year.  It was a Black Sunday! Many lives were lost. Dreams cut short. Aspirations thwarted. Children became orphans and wives turn to widows.  I dont think there is nothing that can erase it as long as I live. As a survivor, scars of bodily injuries abound, emotional trauma lingers and psychological trauma persists. The Ekiti Branch of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) delegates to the Annual Delegates Meeting of 2016 in Sokoto had a ghastly motor accident along Abuja-Kaduna road at about 4:30pm in the afternoon. Thirteen lives  12 doctors and their driver wee in the bus. The rear tyre got burst, the bus somersaulted severally, and some were thrown out of the vehicle  six died on the spot and the seventh di