Skip to main content

ILORIN: THE MUALIMAH IN A MARKET DANCE

If there’s one thing I hate writing about it is an opinion on Ilorin, my fatherland. It gives me no joy having to wield the hammer I called a pen and land it hardly on the baldhead of my homeland. If I were to describe how I felt each time I wrote an opinion on any incidence regarding this land, no time, I say none, and no time did I felt good. And the reasons are not farfetched; I am always torn in between emotions and saying the naked truth. It had never been lost on me that family, no matter what, is family. However, it seems I am alone on that, maybe I am not. But the odds seem small. The thinking ones, specifically among the youth, are not much. The recent actions and inactions, reports and incidences of immortality and irresponsibility by some sons and daughters of the Emirate clearly affirm my earlier stance.  And this time, neither for emotions or fear of misunderstanding would I be garbing irresponsibility with the robe of nobility or be dressing a clear, crestfallen values and moral virtues in Ilorin for beauty and pride. This land is unwell; and her sons need attention!

Yet, I am surprised these people are not worried by the slow but steady dearth of morals and values in the Emirate. I am bewildered how the supposed land of Sheiks and Ulamaas is fast becoming hub for Louts and ritualists and breeding ground for immoral youth. And I might not have bulged like many others if this were not the land I grew on because I wouldn’t have known what disaster has befallen our high moral stands. And I might have minded my ways if it was not my fatherland immorality, irresponsibility and inhumanity is building a fortress on. But before the blade of injustice and inequity slits the throat of this ancient land, a warrior has to step us to secure its existence. And that’s it; who will save Ilorin from dishonour?

Like a family affair?
stained clothes spread in the public?
...flaws in the family dragged to the public...
next neighbors will be ready to laugh!

Who will take the blame for the show of shame, exhibition of stupidity and parody of authority by some youth at the annual cultural event of Ilorin Emirate Descendant Progressive Union? Who will take the axe for the height of disrespect, disgrace, scorn and ridicule accorded Ilorin, the revered land of knowledge? It’s you. Yes me. And them. The political powerful becoming fools of power. It’s those merchants of vested interest who are blinded by greed, lust and avarice. It’s those gullible, misguided, brainwashed youth who are with eyes blinded to the reality. It’s us all who have forgotten how to love and care for the land we eat the harvest. Yet, it’s this land that will bleed because these children have forgotten how to cry. Tomorrow will have them scheming not thinking how to robe her from nakedness. What a people!

However, for a father whose son defiled his new wife, there’s no talk of plea for peace. For a land hoping to grow the trees of boundless branches, is it not a disappointment not having the buds sprout on it? Ilorin is presently an inattentive, uncaring and disinteresting mother hoping for cultured, well-mannered children. I wonder if such falls from heaven. This is why the Emir should be greatly concerned now before ‘Omoye’ dash into the market, the Emirate should get it clothed. There’s no point in acting positivity when all is not well. Unless we make prompt measures, politics is hellbent on stealing the peace and harmony of this land.  And the 53rd IEDPU chaos was the last demo we needed. I hope we remember the story of Mother Hen and Hawk. Only that in this case, Politics [ political leaders] is the Hawk who would steal the children ( gullible youth)for food.
        Unless somebody step up to stop her, Ilorin is presently like a Mualimah[ a learned, educated and religious muslim woman] dancing in the market place. The unbecoming is becoming!

Ibraheem Abdullateef, a social commentator and political analyst writes from Ilorin. He can be reached via email eggheadibra@gmail.com.


nigerianthem is there to let you know....

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Never to be an Almajiri again.

Life as an almajiri in Kano was very tough. I could still remember how we went about in tens begging for alms and food. It’s really not a life anyone should live. I lived it years ago and could still tell exactly how it hurts; the memory of it and the hellish experiences we had  to bear. Almajiri life isn’t a life. It’s like being dead alive. I lived that life. I was ten when I decided to remove the cloak of destitution and face life squarely. It still remains the turning point in my life and the wisest decision I’d ever taken. I could still remember vividly what led me to take such a decision one afternoon. It was at Sabon Titi Kano. We were nine in number. We had trekked all the way from Bida Road. Ali, my best friend was saying something about how very unfair it was that girls were not allowed to  wander about begging as boys did. He said something about girls being lucky and fortunate because they were not subjected to the demeaning life that we lived. “But you don’t have to think

7 Medical Doctors died along Abuja-Kaduna Road

#NMA-Ekiti-7:  Dr. Dele Atiba gives a life account after surviving a ghastly motor accident that took the lives of 7 members of Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) Ekiti Branch. This date  (24/04/2016) has stuck to my memory like it’s super glued to my frontal lobe since last year.  It was a Black Sunday! Many lives were lost. Dreams cut short. Aspirations thwarted. Children became orphans and wives turn to widows.  I dont think there is nothing that can erase it as long as I live. As a survivor, scars of bodily injuries abound, emotional trauma lingers and psychological trauma persists. The Ekiti Branch of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) delegates to the Annual Delegates Meeting of 2016 in Sokoto had a ghastly motor accident along Abuja-Kaduna road at about 4:30pm in the afternoon. Thirteen lives  12 doctors and their driver wee in the bus. The rear tyre got burst, the bus somersaulted severally, and some were thrown out of the vehicle  six died on the spot and the seventh di